Fighting for Justice | Fighting for You Don't Take on Your Legal Situation Alone SCHEDULE A FREE CONSULTATION TODAY

Restraining Order Attorney in Kansas City, Missouri

If you have received notice of a restraining order against you, you must take it seriously. While it’s true that many protective orders like this are warranted and help individuals find the safety and protection they need, it’s also true that many individuals are baseless. The respondent must take the steps necessary to fight it to have a better future. If you need help fighting a restraining order and are in the Kansas City, Missouri area, I can explain your options and help you formulate a plan. I started The Alsobrook Law Firm to support clients in both Kansas and Missouri with all criminal defense needs, and I can help you too. Don’t wait another minute—call today to get started.

Legal Counsel You Can Trust
Contact Me Today

Overview of Restraining Orders in Missouri and Kansas

An order of protection (commonly called a restraining order) is when a petitioner asks the court for help with a domestic violence situation. An order can be against a significant other, spouse, family member, or roommate. The order covers all types of violence involving assault, abuse, stalking, or intimidation.

The petitioner can request either an ex parte order or full order of protection. An ex parte order is if the petitioner is in imminent danger and needs immediate protection. Because an ex parte order takes effect immediately, it is issued solely based on the petitioner’s statement without seeking a statement from the respondent. The ex parte will only last a short time (typically a couple of weeks) until a judge can schedule a hearing where the respondent can speak.

A full order protection will only be approved after both parties have been able to plead cases in a hearing. Full order protections are more comprehensive, last longer (typically 180 days to a year), and can be renewed.

What to Do If a Restraining Order Is Filed Against You

Firstly, if you receive a restraining order you need to remain calm and read it carefully to understand the terms. You must follow all of its terms—even if you disagree or feel it’s been issued under a false pretext. A restraining order is a serious matter, but violating a restraining order can mean criminal consequences. Your next step is to call a criminal defense lawyer in your area to help you understand your options.

Restraining orders go on your criminal record and your public record. If there has been a mistake or someone is trying to damage your reputation, you should take all necessary steps to oppose it. If it remains on your record or if you violate the terms you could be looking at lasting legal implications like being denied employment opportunities, not being able to purchase a gun, or being barred from joining the military.

If you know that someone is trying to file an unwarranted restraining order on you, you must contact an attorney as soon as possible to try to stop it before it happens. The more proactive you can be, the better your chances are.

How Experienced Legal Counsel Can Help

You’ll likely feel overwhelmed when faced with a restraining order. You may feel angry and want the issue resolved immediately, especially if it stops you from entering your home or seeing your family. However, if you try to do this, you risk violating the order and putting your petitioner in a better position to keep it instated. An experienced criminal defense lawyer can walk you through your options, gather evidence, formulate a defense strategy, and represent your rights in court.

Restraining Order Attorney Serving Kansas City, Missouri

Having worked for ten years as a prosecutor, I know both sides of a courtroom and will seek to use my experience to your advantage. There are several negative outcomes to having a restraining order on your permanent record, and I can help you fight it. Contact The Alsobrook Law Firm in Kansas City, Missouri, today to set up a consultation. I serve clients throughout the states of Kansas and Missouri.